What's in a Name?


 After the Ball
Charles K Harris

After the ball is over,
After the break of morn –
After the dancers' leaving;
After the stars are gone;
Many a heart is aching,
If you could read them all;
Many the hopes that have vanished
After the ball.

I chose my blog title based on an old Victorian song. I came across it as a child when I was learning to pick out a few songs on my mother's keyboard. I was greatly fascinated by (my admittedly romanticized version of) the Victorian era at the time and I loved the melancholy nature of the song. The Victorian era (the romanticized version) remains one of my favorite historical eras. I felt the refrain fits my life rather well at this point since I am going through my second divorce. Divorce is rough. Changes are not always easy, but divorce is a huge blow. It signifies the end of things. Even when it is a relief and an end to abuse, as was my case, it is also an end to hopes, dreams and an odd sense of normalcy to the craziness. I'm using this space to vent, muse and confess about my relationships, their endings and my moving on and improving myself and my life while parts of my life burn down around me. Sometimes the forest fires are necessary to clear dead overgrowth and allow new life.


Comments